Oral surgery may seem daunting, but at Highlands Ranch Periodontics and Implant Specialists, we are here to make the process as smooth and comfortable as possible. To help ensure an optimal experience and recovery, we have put together a simple guide on how to prepare for your upcoming oral surgery. So, let’s dive in to ensure you are well-equipped and well-prepared!
1. Ask Questions. One of the most important aspects of preparing for oral surgery is to ask questions. Make sure you are fully aware of all the potential risks and what to expect during the procedure and recovery period. Don’t hesitate to contact your surgeon with any questions or concerns, no matter how small they may seem.
2. Do Some Research. Researching your procedure is a great way to become more familiar with the process and better understand what to expect. Research can provide valuable insight into potential risks, recovery guidelines, and other important information. Your surgeon will be able to confirm any information you find during research, so it’s important that you have an open dialogue about your concerns.
However, if you are someone who experiences anxiety around surgical procedures, it may be best to avoid researching, as this can lead to increased anxiety.
3. Check Your Medication. Before oral surgery, it’s important that you inform your surgeon of any medications you are taking, including any over-the-counter medication such as vitamins and supplements. The medications you take can affect the outcome of a procedure or impact your recovery process. Be sure to keep an updated list of any medications you are taking and inform your surgeon.
4. Have a Support System. Having someone to help you during recovery is essential to ensure an optimal outcome. Your support system should be prepared to take care of you throughout the recovery process and assist with driving, preparing meals, and other tasks that may be difficult or uncomfortable for you.
5. Follow Pre-Op Instructions. Before your procedure, you will want to follow any and all pre-operative instructions from your surgeon. These instructions may include fasting for several hours before the surgery or avoiding specific medications.
6. Go Grocery Shopping. One essential element of preparing for oral surgery is making sure you have the right foods and necessities at home. Your post-surgery diet will consist mostly of liquids and soft foods for a few days, so make sure to stock up on these:
- Soups and broths (avoid anything too hot or spicy)
- Ice cream and pudding
- Mashed potatoes
- Fruit smoothies (avoid seeds and straws)
- Protein shakes
Remember to have plenty of water and ice bags at home to help with swelling.
7. Get Plenty of Sleep the Night Before. Sleep is vital for healing and recovery, so a good night’s rest before your surgery is crucial. Aim for at least 7-8 hours of sleep and avoid caffeine or heavy meals within 3 hours of bedtime. Consider practicing relaxation techniques like meditation or yoga to calm your nerves and help you drift off to sleep.
8. Make Arrangements for the Trip Home. Ensure you have a friend or a family member available to drive you home after your surgery. Anesthesia effects can linger and make it unsafe to operate a vehicle, so it’s essential to arrange reliable transportation beforehand.
9. Arrive On Time. Being punctual to your surgery appointment is essential. Arriving on time allows our team to carefully and thoroughly review your medical history, discuss anesthesia options, and address any last-minute questions or concerns. It also ensures that we can start your surgery promptly, reducing stress for you and your surgical team.
Your Surgical Specialist in Highlands Ranch, CO
Preparing for your oral surgery at Highlands Ranch Periodontics and Implant Specialists is vital to ensuring a successful procedure and smooth recovery. By following the steps outlined above, you’ll be one step ahead and feel more at ease leading up to your surgery day. If you have any more questions or concerns, do not hesitate to reach out to us. We are here to support and guide you every step of the way.If you are searching for an dentist near me, trust the experts at Highlands Ranch Periodontics and Implant Specialists. To schedule an appointment or learn more about our services, call (303) 683-1144 or complete the online booking form.