Posted on Mar 9, 2020
Many people are concerned about receding gums only because it can have a negative effect on their smile! Many don’t realize that gum recession can be the result of even more alarming conditions or habits.
Below are six things that can contribute to receding gums:
1. Gum Disease – Receding gums are one of the most common symptoms of gum disease and gingivitis. If you notice your gums beginning to recede, it’s important to make an appointment here at In Highlands Ranch Periodontics to rule out or treat gum disease.
2. Genetics – Genetic factors can be a major contributor to gum disease. If you have parents or family members who have experienced gum problems, make sure you stay on top of your gum health.
3. Oral Hygiene – Improper oral health care can create an ideal condition for bacteria to grow and feed on food debris. Even if you brush regularly, you should also be flossing daily and making sure to brush your gums as well as your teeth.
4. Aggressive brushing – Brushing too harshly can cause damage to the tooth enamel. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and remember that plaque removal only requires gentle brushing.
5. Tobacco – The use of tobacco, in any form, causes irritation in the gum tissue. To prevent gum disease and keep your overall health intact, we recommend quitting smoking as soon as possible.
6. Medical Conditions – Certain medical conditions, such as diabetes and gum disease have been linked to gum recession. They can also be the result of pregnancy and menopause.
Here at In Highlands Ranch Periodontics, we hope you take gum recession seriously! It can often point to other, more serious problems. The earlier these problems can be detected, the better the outcome.
To make an appointment, please contact Highlands Ranch Periodontics. Our office is located in Highlands Ranch, Colorado but we also see patients from the surrounding areas including Castlewood, Southglenn, Dove Valley, Denver Tech Center, Foxfield, Lone Tree, Cherry Creek, and Greenwood Village, Colorado.